Thursday, October 13, 2005

NUMBERS - WE'RE ANIMALS

It's Moog synthesizer appreciation time as we take a listen to the newest album from Numbers. The use of this unappreciated instrument is the driving force of WE'RE ANIMALS. Its eclectic sound mixes a brilliant use of rough guitars, as if aiming for a garage sound, while undertones of the Moog top it off with a very experimental, electronic ambient sound. There is a lot of Devo-influenced material here (e.g., "The Fuck You Garage"). The lead vocals from Indra Dunis (who is also the drummer) remind me of Bjork, especially on "Beast Life". This album grew on me each time I popped it into my stereo. It's subtle but driving sound left me very, very impressed and wanting more. Numbers are currently in the middle of a nationwide tour but are to return to West Coast in November. www.numbersmusic.com

(Review originally appeared in the October 2005 issue of Skratch Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment