Wednesday, July 13, 2005

SHELBY - THE LUXURY OF TIME

Let me start out by saying I have never really liked U2. They're mediocre adult-contemporary rock from Ireland. (Let the hatemail come pouring in.) So why bring up my distaste for Bono and the boys here in this review of LUXURY OF TIME by New York band Shelby? For one, the sounds heard on this album are a total rip-off of bands like U2 and Radiohead. The beat structures for a majority of the songs are simple and repetitive. The vocal stylings of Kenny Cummings are almost a dead-on match to those of Bono. The feeling I got when listening to LUXURY OF TIME was like I was listening to musical version of a mime, just waiting for it to break out of its imaginary box and have a personality. My suggestion: pass this up, unless you enjoy bland and boring contemporary rock. This one is a dud!

(Review originally appeared in the August 2005 issue of Skratch Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment