Wednesday, July 13, 2005

DISENGAGE - APPLICATION FOR AN AFTERLIFE

APPLICATION FOR AN AFTERLIFE is Disengage's third LP and doesn't hold back when it comes to foot-smashing beats and hard-hitting, heavy guitars. As I finished listening to the first track, "Pharmacyland", I was pretty impressed with the musical aspects of this album. As I ventured on through the next five tracks, the music became repetitive. The beat structure of the majority of the songs remained the same and became a bore to listen to. I found the lyrics well-written and meaningful, but lead vocalist Jason Byers's vocals didn't convince me they were heartfelt. In fact, I didn't feel anything. "Love Letter Rough Draft" did impress me with its tempo changes and lyrical content, as I finally felt some true emotion from this band. With that being said, I can't suggest buying APPLICATION FOR AN AFTERLIFE. The few songs that were promising aren't enough to keep this title afloat.

(Review originally appeared in the July 2005 issue of Skratch Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment